For a complicated and busy week, I wanted to cook something really simple. With very few ingredients, these sweet potato fries are definitely that. The Sriracha mayo is optional, but I really suggest you try it, because it’s delicious! So what made the week so busy and complicated? (You were dying to know, right??) With the promise of warmer weather on the horizon, and inspired by our recent travels in Portugal, I’ve been trying to be more of a tourist in my own city. So Andrew and I have been ticking off things on our New York list, including lots of museums.
On Friday, we saw “Cy Twombly: Coronation of Sesostris” at the Gagosian, then visited both the Frick Collection and the Neue Galerie for free First Fridays. We definitely waited in some lines, but it was a really fun night, and we didn’t spend any money at all! Sunday on my lunch break, I popped into the Met Breuer for 30 minutes (Bank of America Museums on Us weekend, also free, whoo!) for the AMAZING “Like Life: Sculpture, Color, and the Body” exhibition. So much art. Also, I’ve just started a six-week intro to interior design class at the New York School of Interior Design. I LOVE it so far. I didn’t have a specific goal in signing up for the course, I’m just very interested in home design and decor. My general plan is to learn more about the things I’m drawn to and just see where it goes. So we’ll see!
In other New York list news, I just tried the Filipino restaurant Maharlika with my friend Keri, who’s visiting from out of town. I had the uni and shrimp rice noodles and Keri had the fried chicken and ube waffles. Both were delicious! Also, I tried San Miguel Negra, a Filipino dark beer—it was pretty good! I’m really hoping the next beer I drink will be outdoors in a beer garden. It’s supposed to snow tomorrow morning (!!!) but will be a high of 77° on Saturday!? Hopefully this means all of the spring vegetables will be at the markets soon and I’ll have some spring recipes for you before too long. Have a great week, everyone!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Mayo
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs), sliced into wedges 3/4-inch thick
- 2 Tbsp neutral-flavored oil, like avocado or sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellman’s
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400º. Pile the sweet potatoes in the center of a large baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over them and toss to coat. Spread them evenly on the baking sheet (if you can’t get them all to fit, you can use a second sheet). Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Bake until browned on the outside and soft on the inside, flipping once, 30 to 40 minutes, or about 15 to 20 minutes per side.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make the Sriracha mayo: In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce. Serve the sweet potato fries with the Sriracha mayo for dipping and with lime wedges on the side.