I haven’t felt much like blogging recently, for so many reasons. Mainly it’s been a combination of being 9 months pregnant and in the middle of a pandemic. My due date is tomorrow and it’s looking unlikely that we’ll have a baby by then; meanwhile, we’re afraid that the longer she waits to get here, the more hospitals are going to fill up with coronavirus patients. So I’ve been just a little anxious! Trying to stay positive, though, and we’re getting really excited to meet the baby whenever she decides to get here. Andrew took this photo three weeks ago when I turned 37 years and she turned 37 weeks on the same day:
Like practically everyone else, I’ve been cooking more than ever (and poor Andrew has been doing more dishes than ever) and getting creative with the ingredients I do have and without the ones I don’t. This recipe is one I made and photographed over a month ago, when it still made sense to run out for something like pomegranate molasses or fresh mint leaves if they weren’t on hand. If you’re making this now, you can substitute 2 tsp extra lemon juice for the pomegranate molasses, cilantro for the mint, and almonds for the pistachios. Or just bookmark the recipe for another time and cook with what you do have!
We have been eating a lot of beans, lentils, and cabbage recently, along with homemade breads, cookies, and other baked goods. Tonight I’m roasting a chicken and if we’re still here and not at the hospital I’ll make a broth from the bones tomorrow. What have you been cooking these days? I hope you all are staying at home and staying healthy!
Moroccan Carrot Salad
adapted from Milk Street: The New Rules
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachios, chopped
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together the lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, and turmeric. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined. Add the apricots and cumin and set aside for a few minutes to allow the apricots to soften.
- Add the carrots, pistachios, green olives, and mint and stir to coat with the dressing. Add salt (if needed) and ground pepper to taste and garnish with more mint leaves.