Have you tried savory oatmeal yet? I had been hearing about it for awhile, but when I finally tried this, it was LIFE CHANGING. This recipe is delicious, and you could change it up in so many ways with different veggies and toppings. It’s extra good with an egg on top, as many things are!
Savory Oatmeal with Mushrooms, Feta, & Hazelnuts
adapted from The I Quit Sugar Cookbook
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 oz crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme leaves, oats, broth, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in half of the feta and hazelnuts. Serve in bowls, topped with the remaining feta and hazelnuts and the reserved thyme leaves.