It’s been another one of those weeks, with work and life being extra full, and news and the world being more overwhelming than ever. I’m not sure what to say about any of it right now, but for the time being I can share this recipe with you. It’s very tart and surprising in a great way and would be excellent alongside roast chicken or grilled lamb. I hope you all are hanging in there, and I’ll have a longer post for you in the coming weeks. We’re going to Montreal next weekend and I am excited to get out of the country for a few days! Enjoy the recipe, friends, and I’ll see you soon.
Pomegranate-Glazed Beets with Pistachios
adapted from Everyday with Rachel Ray
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make it veggie)
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 lbs medium red beets, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 3 Tbsp chopped toasted pistachios
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a wide, heavy pan, combine the pomegranate juice and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced by half, about ten minutes. Add the beets, butter, and pomegranate molasses and stir to melt butter and coat beets. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, add the coriander, and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender and sauce has reduced to a glaze. If sauce thickens before beets are tender, add a bit more water and continue to cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with the pistachios and parsley.