I haven’t blogged about this soup yet because I make it so much that both Andrew and I actually thought it was already on the blog. It’s definitely on our top five favorite staple dinners list (also on that list is Crispy Cauliflower with Whole Cloves of Garlic, which doesn’t sound like it would be a meal but it totally is when followed by a huge bowl of popcorn, popped on the stove top with lots of olive oil! and Buffalo Brussels Sprouts, with the same popcorn chaser) so I’m glad to finally share the recipe with you. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Vietnamese-Style Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger root
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- to garnish: chopped cilantro and green onion, jalapeño slices, Sriracha
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the chicken and garnishes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until rice gets mushy and begins to break down. Remove the spices, stir in the chicken, and serve, adding garnishes to individual bowls.
One thought on “Vietnamese-Style Chicken & Rice Soup”
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.