Have you ever thought about how a disproportionate number of delicious items start with the letter B? Bacon, bourbon, bread, beer, bagels, butter. Buffalo Brussels Sprouts.
Many people are having a three-day weekend, but I just had a one-day weekend, ugh! Ok, but I learned useful things (CPR, useful in saving lives and in being able to tell when a character in How to Get Away with Murder is not doing the chest compressions fast enough!) and had fun (in the jazz ballads class I teach at work we listened to this Aretha Franklin recording of Skylark; I think the arrangement is the absolute coolest, also, did you know that Johnny Mercer had a torrid affair with Judy Garland? Neither did I!) and got to spend some time outside in this positively balmy weather (yes, I’m concerned, but I’m also enjoying it) and even managed to cook for the blog. Because:
Buffalo Brussels Sprouts are the perfect thing for limited free-time times like these—they take under an hour to prepare. Pick up a rotisserie chicken and a baguette for a complete meal (we usually skip the chicken and just add the baguette). Any type of crumbly blue cheese will work here (just please, please don’t buy those pre-crumbled bits in the plastic tub); I used Stilton, but Danish blue and buttermilk blue are also good options.
Buffalo Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 lbs medium-sized Brussels sprouts, washes, trimmed, and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp neutral-flavored, high-smoke-point oil, like avocado or sunflower
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 1/4 cup Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1 1/2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
serves 2 to 4
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place Brussels sprouts on a large baking sheet and crowd them all into the center. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat, then spread out Brussels sprouts on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, stir, and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until well browned and softened. Remove from oven.
- Scatter the butter bits over the Brussels sprouts. Toss until butter is melted and coating the Brussels sprouts. Drizzle with the hot sauce and toss to coat. Crumble blue cheese on top and serve.