This will be the last wintry recipe I post for a long time, I hope. (Don’t get me wrong—it’s delicious, and you should totally make it, just on the blog I’m ready to move on to developing spring recipes! Also, cauliflower is not even in season anymore, but I really love it, and soon enough my self-imposed summer oven ban will go into effect, so I need to get the vegetable roasting out of my system now.)
A note on the red quinoa: its red fibrous bits will get stuck in your teeth, so eat this dish only when you are able to go brush your teeth or at least do a serious swish rinse. Or you could substitute regular quinoa. Whichever type of quinoa you choose, it will be full of protein and fiber, so congratulations on this healthy choice! [Insert iOS 10.2 quinoa emoji here.]
Red Quinoa Bowl with Roasted Cauliflower, Pecans, & Blue Cheese
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium scallion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 recipe leftover roasted cauliflower, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 2 to 3 ounces of your favorite crumbly blue cheese, at room temperature, crumbled
- Make the quinoa: Add the water and salt to a medium pot, bring to a boil, and add the quinoa. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let set, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a large bowl, and set aside to cool.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard, then gradually whisk in the oil. When the quinoa has cooled, add the vinaigrette, scallion, and ground pepper to the bowl, and stir until just combined.
- Arrange cauliflower, pecans, and blue cheese on top of the quinoa and serve.